Home Page » About Us
The School of Foreign Languages in Edirne was established under the body of Trakya University with the regulation of the Council of Ministers on 30.09.2005, and after Compulsory and Optional Preparatory Classes of English and German Languages were declared to be assembled under the body of the School of Foreign Languages, it was launched to enable education as from 2006-2007 Academic Year. In the same Academic Year, in order to meet the necessity for experts speaking more than one language, Translation and Interpretation Department was established and twenty students were registered.
The fact that Trakya Region and Edirne have common borders with Balkan Countries necessitated teaching and bringing Balkan Languages to the foreground together with English and German languages. Related to this, as a second step further, The Department of Bulgarian Translation and Interpretation and the Departments of Balkan Languages; Albanian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Greek, Romanian, and also Russian which is commonly spoken in some of Balkan Countries were established; and students started to be accepted into these departments from 2007-2008 Academic Year. These Departments were later on included in the Faculty of Science and Letters in accordance with the Law of Higher Education Council dated 07. 02. 2008; and The Department of Croatian Language and Literature was also added to these programs. Besides, in accordance with the Resolution of the General Board of Higher Education Council dated 03.09.2008, it was resolved that Foreign Languages Department would be established under the body of the Department of Foreign Languages and this would include Armenian Language and Literature Department.
Currently the School of Foreign Languages enables preparatory classes in German, English and Bulgarian langauges.
This content was issued on 05.02.2014 and has been viewed for 1147 times.